The King of Glory comes, the nation rejoices. Open the gates before Him, lift up your voices!
Holy Week has come. It is the most beautiful, most exhausting week of our year.
Somehow, we’ve managed to schedule inspectors and appointments and lessons for this week in addition to all of the normal preparations. There are still new clothes and shoes to be bought, festal foods to procure, cooking and baking to be done, holy water bottles to be filled, and traditional Holy Week cleaning to be done. Certainly some things will, and must, fall away because no one can do all that we have scheduled. I am forgiving myself in advance.
Holy Week home-keeping will be truncated to allow enough time for other important activities. But I don’t want to give it up altogether because it is an important part of the fabric of the celebration in our home, which is, after all, a domestic church. And we want to joyfully open the gates before Him and welcome Him into our home.
The physical cleaning of the home mirrors the final sweeping out of our souls in preparation to receive Him on Easter morning. We women are blessed to have such a tangible reality to illustrate the mystical. I offer you my prayerful Holy Week cleaning schedule, with a wish that your heart and home be blessed by the glorious presence of our Saviour and Brother today and always.
Open my eyes to see clearly the wonders of your teachings. Psalm 119:18
- remove curtains and wash
- vacuum and dust sashes, sills, and trim
- wash window glass inside and out
- tighten curtain rod screws if needed
- replace shades if needed
- tighten handles, locks, refresh caulking if needed
May peace be within your walls, And prosperity within your palaces. Psalm 122:7
- remove artwork and photographs, dust
- sweep/vacuum dust and cobwebs from corners and ceiling
- clean marks from walls
- fill holes with patching compound, touch up paint
- replace picture hangers if necessary
Lift up your heads, O gates; rise up, you ancient portals, that the king of glory may enter. Psalm 24:7
- scrub doors inside and out
- tighten screws on hinges and other fixtures
- check locks and jambs
- dust around trim
- vacuum sill
Spread for me a banquet of praise, serve High God a feast of kept promises Psalm 50:14
- clean oven and scrub cooktop
- empty fridge and freezer, scrub
- sort and re-organize shelves/cupboards
- clean down small appliances, clean out coffee pot
I bow low toward your holy temple; I praise your name for your fidelity and love. For you have exalted over all your name and your promise. Psalm 138:2
- Vacuum off furniture and under cushions, wash slipcovers
- Move furniture and vacuum, mop, polish
- Vacuum and remove throw rugs, hang outside to air
- Dust and wipe down heat runs and baseboards
I am praying that I will find the quiet in my soul to absorb the richness of the liturgical celebrations. They are a font of grace. And they only come this time of year. Come Easter morning, we will sing:
He conquered sin and death; he truly has risen! And He will share with us His heavenly vision.
Blessed Holy Week, dear friends. And a joyous Easter!