{Making a Home} More Original Details

Please, do come in.  We’re getting so much accomplished with the help of family, friends, and our contractors.  The house has sound sills now – part of our home sits on 250 year old barn beams, preserved from a demolition nearby. The joists are being repaired where needed, and new subfloors being laid.  The large barn doors at the end of our carriage house will be removed soon so that wall can be framed in, and prepared for two large windows.  Later, those walls will be finished to create our schoolroom. The inside wall of the carriage house is about half-way demolished.  That area will be opened up and made into a large mudroom, storage, and staircase to the second floor (which will be made into our office and sewing room).

We expect the plumber to come this week to begin getting our bathrooms and kitchen ready.  That is a very exciting step forward!  But that means that our clawfoot tubs must all go to be re-enameled, toilets and sinks ordered, and shower stalls designed.  Brian and I are going to have a go at constructing the showers ourselves – a project we are both looking forward to tackling.  The most difficult part is making final choices about tiles, fixtures, and layouts.

Here are some more shots of original details in the house.  Most will be preserved.  We have been able to find exact reproductions of everything that can’t be preserved – right down to the door hardware and light switches.

The original doorbell hardware. The bell mechanism is gone now, but we managed to find replica at a reproduction hardware shop.

I love the way the red paint faded from the sun. The door isn't tight enough to be re-used on the house, but we'll save it for another project somewhere on the farm. Perhaps the greenhouse?

Our contractor found an exact copy of this door in one of his books, and the brass hardware is fairly easy to replace as it was a common period design.

The newel posts with their beautiful fluting and acorn capitols will be preserved and replaced, as will the handrails. The spindles will have to be replaced with longer ones for current safety codes.

There are two different spindle designs - one on the first flight of stairs, another on this flight heading up to the third floor bedrooms.

We don't have to do much with this massive built-in wardrobe on the second floor landing. There is a crack on one door, but the hardware only needs a cleaning.

I love these brass drawer pulls. Brian found some loose drawers with identical pulls just lying around the house. We're not sure where they came from, but they'll be re-used, probably in my sewing room or the office.

The interior doors are lovely. They'll need very little done with them. We are fortunate that there are very few painted surfaces. Most of the wood was stained and shellacked.

You are free to draw your own conclusions about this sticker on one of the bedroom doors.

I Love Milk.

The house is changing so quickly now.  I’m so glad that we have recorded what came before.  Perhaps we’ll make a scrapbook for future generations to enjoy. And we’re looking forward to documenting the changes as they come along.

 

Our oldest daughter Cat was wondering aloud about what the house would be thinking and feeling if it *could* think and feel.  I wonder, too…