Summer Sausage Skillet
Super easy and nutritious luncheon or dinner.
Write a review
- 4 lb. bratwurst
- butter or ghee
- 3 large shallots (or one small onion), sliced
- 2 T garlic, chopped
- 4 lb mixed greens (kale, collard, mustard, spinach, rabe, etc.), chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sausages on a shallow pan - a jelly roll pan is ideal. Cook until evenly browned and cooked through - about 20 minutes. Remove from pan, cool slightly and slice into 1" pieces. Set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, melt butter and sauté shallots and garlic until shallots are translucent. Add greens and a small amount of water to cover the bottom. Season with salt an pepper, and nutmeg if desired. Cover and let cook until greens are wilted.
- Add sausages to skillet. Heat through and serve.
- This is a great easy-to-make meal for those days when you want maximum impact for minimum effort. Serve with a side of fruit sauce or compote and you've covered all the flavour bases. You could also halve some cherry tomatoes and toss them in right before serving. We rarely eat potatoes anymore, but this would be delicious with mash on a rainy day.
- We prefer to use bratwurst with this recipe, but you use whatever sausages you like best.
At Home With the Gadbois Family http://gadboisfamily.com/