Family Centered Home
It’s been ages since I’ve done a homeschooling meme, but Gae invited me to participate in this one and I thought it would be fun to join in.
Just a little walk through one of our hayfields. There are so many more plants to photograph, but here’s a small sampling of what caught my eye the day we brought our first cutting of hay in:
We’ve had several surprises with the restoration of this old farmhouse, most of them pleasant. This particular problem was not pleasant – nor was it a surprise. In fact, it’s the piece that worried me most before beginning. It turned out that my worry was needless. Our contractors skillfully and swiftly put everything right. The new walls are up now, and it all looks as though there was never anything amiss.
The work at the house is about to slow down a bit as we wait for heating to be installed. We’ve settled on a forced hot air propane system. Not the geothermal we’d hoped for, but it is efficient and economical. And it sets us up perfectly for a future geothermal system that will tie seamlessly into our existing ductwork, plus give us a propane back-up.
The new windows are on order, and we’ve been shopping for lighting fixtures, wall and floor tiles, appliances… and fabrics. Yes, I’ve already begun shopping for fabrics for windows and furniture. That makes me quite giddy.
Please, do come in. We’re getting so much accomplished with the help of family, friends, and our contractors. The house has sound sills now – part of our home sits on 250 year old barn beams, preserved from a demolition nearby. The joists are being repaired where needed, and new subfloors being laid. The large barn doors at the end of our carriage house will be removed soon so that wall can be framed in, and prepared for two large windows. Later, those walls will be finished to create our schoolroom. The inside wall of the carriage house is about half-way demolished. That area will be opened up and made into a large mudroom, storage, and staircase to the second floor (which will be made into our office and sewing room).
We expect the plumber to come this week to begin getting our bathrooms and kitchen ready. That is a very exciting step forward! But that means that our clawfoot tubs must all go to be re-enameled, toilets and sinks ordered, and shower stalls designed. Brian and I are going to have a go at constructing the showers ourselves – a project we are both looking forward to tackling. The most difficult part is making final choices about tiles, fixtures, and layouts.
Here are some more shots of original details in the house. Most will be preserved. We have been able to find exact reproductions of everything that can’t be preserved – right down to the door hardware and light switches.
The house is changing so quickly now. I’m so glad that we have recorded what came before. Perhaps we’ll make a scrapbook for future generations to enjoy. And we’re looking forward to documenting the changes as they come along.
Our oldest daughter Cat was wondering aloud about what the house would be thinking and feeling if it *could* think and feel. I wonder, too…